Accounting & Taxation Services
ANNUAL AND MONTHLY ACCOUNTS
Modern business demands up-to-date, accurate financial information. We can relieve you and your staff of the enormous burden of all your bookkeeping and accounting requirements, including the preparation of your annual accounts and periodic management accounts for tax, business appraisal, planning purposes, and more.
We will discuss your requirements with you and provide information relevant to your particular situation, as well as constructive advice, on a regular basis.
TAXATION AND TAX PLANNING
At Better Business Accountants we offer a full range of taxation services. Our taxation consulting division is nationally recognised and we offer advice based on proven knowledge and experience. Our proactive approach ensures we deliver consistent service and build solid relationships that stand the test of time.
Taxation can be a major cost to your business. We will work with you to minimise your tax and help you achieve your key objectives. We provide a complete service of assistance and advice in each of these areas:
- Preparing personal and company tax returns
- Advice on tax payments
- GST/FBT/ACC obligations
- Advice on, and implementation of, tax effective trust structures for asset protection and tax minimisation
- Managing any IRD audits or disputes
GOODS AND SERVICES TAX (GST)
GST legislation is an area we know like the back of our hand. We can offer accurate, timely assistance in several areas, including:
- Registration queries
- Preparing GST returns
- Filing and adjusting GST returns
- IRD audit assistance
- Specialist events involving GST — Eg sale or purchase of property
FRINGE BENEFIT TAX (FBT)
The rules for FBT payments change on a regular basis. At Better Business Accountants we keep up to date with the latest tax trends, enabling us to provide accurate advice on preparing FBT returns. We can also advise on the FBT consequences of proposals you intend to make, ensuring you make informed decisions.
Rather than paying excessive amounts of FBT, let the experts answer your tax queries. We can help you develop and complete the administration for a cost-effective employee benefit plan.
At Better Business Accountants, we offer clients the option of being your agent for ACC purposes. ACC invoices may not always be correct and therefore you can end up paying more for your ACC levies than you need to.
The types of errors that we find are:
- Wrong classification rates used, resulting in incorrect charging
- Incorrect liable earnings information
- Not splitting the income to allow for the different types of work carried out by the various business owners
- Incorrect charging of levies where changes have been made to the business structure
We have also found, where a recommendation has been made to clients to consider alternative ACC products, that some clients have not followed up on that advice and are therefore not maximising the opportunities offered by the ACC legislation.
One of the services our firm offers clients is an ACC Administration and Advisory service. This involves our firm acting as your agent for all your ACC related matters. The advantages to you are:
- All ACC related information will come to us
- We will review the invoices and ensure they are correct
- We will advise you immediately of payments due
- You can rest assured in the knowledge that your levies are correct, and have been minimized
- We will advise you on the best options available to you for your ACC cover
- We will keep you up to date with any changes in ACC legislation that may affect you
OFFICE DUTIES AND PAYROLL SERVICES
Here at Better Business Accountants we understand that day-to-day office duties are not everyone's cup of tea. We are happy to help you out with some or all of these services:
- Processing wages
- Paying creditors and processing payments
- Collecting and banking debts
- Various secretarial tasks
Administering your payroll can be time-consuming and divert you from your core business activities. Added to this, payroll and employment legislation are growing increasingly complex.
We can relieve you of this burden by providing a comprehensive, confidential payroll service that includes:
- Customised payslips
- Administration of PAYE, statutory sick pay, and annual leave
- IR-filing to the IRD
- Summaries and analysis of staff costs
- Administration of incentive schemes, bonuses, and termination payments
Even if you only have a few employees, you will save by engaging us to administer your payroll.
Company legislation requires businesses to perform several administration tasks that take up a lot of valuable company time. The last thing you need as a business owner is to be stressed out trying to ensure you comply with the 1993 Companies Act. The potential threat of penalties for failing to keep up with the changing rules is too great a risk to take. At Better Business Accountants we can relieve you of this burden.
Our services include:
- General advice on company law
- Company formations
- Filing annual returns on your behalf
- Preparing all documentation related to minutes and resolutions
- Maintaining statutory books
- Assistance with changes of directors, shareholders, addresses, and office details
- Bonus issues
- Share transfers
- Registered office facility
A trust provides a valuable way of protecting the assets you have accumulated for the benefit of others. Our extensive experience with trusts enables us to offer specialist advice on trust formation and ensures all statutory requirements are met. Obligations for trustees can often be onerous, and our assistance in trust administration can prove invaluable.
We can assist with:
- Preparing and executing the vital documentation required for trust formation
- Attending to the special requirements involved in reporting for trusts
- Trust administration
- Minute-keeping service
- Annual accounts
- Asset management
- Investment monitoring
- Income distribution
Let us help you make the right choice of accounting software. A decent accounting system will help you keep track of your cash flow and let you complete GST returns easily.
Choosing the right system for your business can be difficult. After all, there are over sixty accounting packages available in New Zealand. Here at Better Business Accountants, we invest considerable resources into ongoing staff training to ensure we can recommend the best accounting solution for your business.
BUSINESS PURCHASE AND START-UP ADVICE
If you have a good idea for a new business venture but don't have expertise in the legal or financial aspects, we can help you:
- Decide on the most suitable structure for your business — sole trader, partnership, or limited company
- Prepare a business plan, cash flow projections, budgets, and trading forecasts
- Assess your finance requirements, advise on the best sources of finance, and draw up the necessary proposals
- Establish a good working relationship with your bank
- Complete any registration procedures with Companies House, Inland Revenue, or Customs and Excise
- Deal with company secretarial issues
- Set up a recording system for your internal use and for complying with statutory requirement